February 22, 2009

Academy Awards

I had a teacher recently, who says that the Academy Awards are just a popularity contest. It's a way for actors to kiss other actors' ass. Well, that may be his take on the Oscars but I find that they are a way to open our eyes and minds to new movies that are out there. When I was young I remember watching the Academy Awards and not knowing ANY movie that was mentioned. I would just vote for the ones I thought looked cool or had a particular actor. Now, I try to watch all the nominees and form my own speculations as to who should win what and why.

Let me start by saying that Slumdog Millionaire has definitely gotten it's fair share of Oscars that are very well-deserved. Danny Boyle is one of my favorite directors and he did an excellent job. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button did excellently in the art department what with visual effects, makeup, costumes, and what have you. Dark Knight did well in sound and congrats to Heath Ledger, sorry you weren't there to accept it.

I'm happy to say that I actually know what is going on this year at the 2009 Academy Awards. Go Slumdog Millionaire! You've definitely deserved everything you've won!