April 18, 2009

The Fall


For the past six months, I have been hearing plenty of things about this movie called The Fall. I heard most of the information from my classmates and I would always pass by it in the new section at Blockbuster, but as my hand would hover over it, I would just skip to my next rental. Then I heard that it was directed by the guy who did The Cell, Tarsem Singh. If you recall The Cell, it had Jennifer Lopez and Vince Vaughn. The movie may have been a flop, but you can't deny its amazingly beautiful visual aspects. The movie is a piece of art.

Well, now we have The Fall.

The Fall, starring Lee Pace from Pushing Daisies, tells the story about a little girl stumbles upon an injured man who begins to weave a great tale to get on the girl's good side so that she will steal drugs for him. The story he tells is an amazing journey around the world. The film was shot on 26 locations over 18 countries. What I find amazing about this film, though, is the lack of CGI and how Tarsem was able to find these locations that really do exist. Also, the little girl in the film, Cantinca Untaru, is basically the most amazing actress in the world. She blows me away and I cannot comprehend how believable she is in the film. And Lee Pace will bring you to tears. Watch it. I promise you'll appreciate something completely underrated that has gone under the radar.